What to expect, tips, and how to prepare
Just when you know what love is, someone little comes to show you what love REALLY is. It is my job to freeze those magic moments into art. This is not always easy and a lot goes into a session; below you will find some highlights of what to expect and how to prepare for these 3 hours of magic.
What to expect
Newborn props and different blanket/basket/fur options take part of this type of session. If time allows, family members are welcome to partake, OR we can limit the number of setups if family photos are your priority.
- The photo poses will be up to the baby’s particular mood and my workflow. Even though I am happy to accommodate certain requests, it is ALWAYS more important to make sure the baby is comfortable and safe.
- We need to crank up the heat! Babies do great when it is nice and cozy, it makes them more sleepy.
- We will have breaks to feed and soothe your babe.
How to prepare
- Relax. Babies this little are extremely sensitive to mommy’s mood. If mommy is calm, then the baby will be more at ease.
- Think of a possible spot for me to set up, I need about 6ft by 6ft.
- Make sure your home is at least 75 degrees warm for the scheduled time. Let me know if I should bring a space heater.
- When I get to your home, it will take me about 20-30 min to set up. You can use this time to feed if so, wrap the baby in a cozy blanket with just a diaper. Once you are done I will take care of the rest.
- If you want to pick an outfit for you and baby, or you want her to wear the blanket that grandma knitted, put them aside the night before.
- Have some fluids and snacks in the room where we’re going to shoot, particularly if you are breastfeeding and/or sleep deprived.
- Keep a pacifier handy ONLY if you are planning on using one.
Keep in mind that every baby is very different, so the rhythm of the session will be determined by your unique new little person.
Safety is my number one priority when it comes to newborn photography.
*Props. I always bring a different array of textured blankets, furs, hats, headbands, signs, baskets, etc. If there is something specific you have in mind, just let me know and I may just have it!